- Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Telcom Pro's - Switch Technicians unite!  

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister   

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  
MCTM-V frame shelf 19 will not power up
Read 8101 times

Russ   Offline
RTP, NC
I Love Telcom!!

MCTM-V frame shelf 19 will not power up
Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:17pm

I am a Tech. on a SL100 switch.

At our campus we had a power outage where the dms switch is located.  This outage was a total building black out to cut over to a new lab to the power that system.

At that time all of my peripherials where up and insv.  What I did was bsy and powered off the duplex inactive side of what i could to save power on the batteries.

For whatever reason I had a shelf 19 in an MCTM-V go down which was up and running before the cut  over and have not been able to power it up since.

At  this time i have checked the power converter in this shelf and rolled it out to another shelf and did not help, checked for bent pins behind that slot of the power converter.  

Rolled out the NT0X91AA and NT0X91AE and that did not help.  

There is a Nortle Bulletin(Power Loss May Require Cap. Drain Tool) 2002000180 / Legacy Ref ID 19940048 about a capacity drain tool.  I have built the tool and tried this but not sure if what i am doing is correct.  Has anyone done this and if they have what spcifically did you do to test this ??  It specifies about a fuse and Iam not sure what fuse on the FSP goes with this particuliar shelf 19 ??

I have rolled a know good breaker switch from shelf 47 to 19 on the FSP and still no luck with powering the shelf 19 up.

I have a PDF which is in a MCAM frame on the botton with breakers two rows CBFA 1-19 & CBFB 1-19. which runs the power to the MCTM-V frame.

If anyone has ideas or thoughts on how to approach this issue I would like to hear them or if u need more info please let me know.

Thanks,

Russ  

IP Logged    

Paul   Offline
Site Administrator
Switch Technician

Southern Maine

Re: MCTM-V frame shelf 19 will not power up
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 9:21pm

Russ,

Just to start with the basics, did you verify -48 volts were present PDF and worked your way to the feed buss at the top of the frame?

Other than that I will do some thinking while looking at the PM frames on my switch.

Just to help me compare what does a MCTM shelf do?

Paul.

WWW Paul 256433011082857 3636741
IP Logged    

Russ   Offline
RTP, NC
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:36am

Paul,

The MCTM shelf is nothing more that a Merdian Cabinet Trunk Module with a DTC configured in the upper two shelfs u0/u1 and a DTCI configured in the lower 2 units u0/u1.

I am not sure how to check the voltage in a frame espically the PDC or the Buss, reason being I have never had a problem as of this, so you may have to patient with me on this. 

The PDC comes from the power room to a MCAM frame that has 3 shelfs configured for IOM's/IOC.  The bottom part of the frame is the PDC and just only 30 AMP breaker swtiches on the front.  On the back of the frame is where the power is coming on to the PDC and that is where I am not sure to check for the -48V !!!!!

I have a schematic of the mtcm and mtcm-v frame if that would help you.......

Hope this helps....

Russ

IP Logged    

Paul   Offline
Site Administrator
Switch Technician

Southern Maine

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:51am

Anyone there good with a multimeter to check voltage?  My gut tells me you are still missing power somewhere, give me a few minutes to look at the back of my DTC/DTCI shelves and I will have more definitive location for you to test.

IP Logged    

Paul   Offline
Site Administrator
Switch Technician

Southern Maine

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:58am

Russ,

If your shelves look like mine go to the back of the cabinet and look at the shelf with no power, on the left you will see terminal lugs that feed power to the back plane, one is marked -48 and the other is BAT RET.

At this point very carefully with a multimeter put the red lead on the -48 lug and the black lead on the BAT RET and if you do in fact have power your multimeter will read -52 (or somewhere near that).

Let me know the results.

IP Logged    

joebutler   Offline
Past Contributor
Switch Technician

Brunswick, ME

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:57am

It may turn out that you'll need to call Nortel, but I'd try unseating all the cards in that shelf including the power card, then after you have verified you have power going to that shelf by doing what Paul suggested, just seat the power card and verify it comes up before seating the other cards.  If it doesn't come up try replacing the power converter card.  These Nortel switches are very fussy when it comes to the turn up procedures.  If I were you I'd be fighting with the University to get you a generator for your switch.

IP Logged    

Russ   Offline
RTP, NC
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 9:51am

Just wanted to thank all of you for your reply.  I checked out the PDP on the MCAM and verified that I had voltage coming to this frame.  Followed the power to the MCTM-V frame and found the Red leads coming from the PDP and had voltage there also.  The TB2 block on the back plane had a bolt that had gotten loose somehow and tightend that up and everything is ok, shelf powered up, loaded the DTC and swacted activity and everything is great.......once again thanks for the help

IP Logged    

Paul   Offline
Site Administrator
Switch Technician

Southern Maine

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:49am

Good troubleshooting Russ.  Glad it was just that than a dead backplane.

IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print