- Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Telcom Pro's - Switch Technicians unite!  

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister   

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  
Issues Clearing an Aisle Alarm
Read 1571 times

DeltaDave   Offline
Network Technician

Edmonton
I Love Telcom!!

Issues Clearing an Aisle Alarm
Jan 23rd, 2019 at 5:13pm

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the DMS, only been at it for a couple of years. I'm experiencing peculiar trouble that I am unable to get to the root of.

Logging into the DMS, I see an EXT Maj alarm on the banner. It is for an Aisle A alarm in one of my remotes. Head out there and sure enough, there is an aisle alarm in aisle A for an LCM bay. Now, off the bat I see there are no breakers or fuses tripped, both ring generators are functioning normally. Troubleshooting further I roll the ring generators, power converters, and the NT6X36AA (FSP Card) with another LCM in another BAY. Trouble never moves, however when the power converter is removed on (shelf 4 of that bay) Unit 0 of the bottom LCM the aisle alarm clears. So it would seem that the trouble is somehow associated with that unit, yet I can see nothing out of place.

I have also been able to dig up some wiring diagrams for the FSP Card which I will attach to this post. I checked the pins (10,26, and 32 - see attached photo of wiring diagram) associated with shelf 4 (corresponds to unit 0 of the lower LCM) and referenced it with another FSP card in another bay and can't find any anomaly to trace back to what could be bringing that alarm in.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged    

1palm   Offline
Switch Technician

Re: Issues Clearing an Aisle Alarm
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 6:27pm

And no drawers in shelf 04 complaining? One possibility is one of the cartridge fuse (5/15/48) may have blown but the indicator didn't "release". If you pulled each 48, then 15, then 5, would the alarm go off?

IP Logged    

DeltaDave   Offline
Network Technician

Edmonton
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 12:33pm

I checked those fuses as well by pushing each one of the 'indicators', and none seemed to have popped. If they had, I'd imagine I would have subs complaining as well.

IP Logged    

Kevinb   Offline
NOC Technician

I Love Telcom!!

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 5:16pm

Since you mentioned about removing the converter in shelf 4 for unit 0 and the alarm goes away, and you interchanged it with another unit.
I would be interested to know if the COVREX (converter rex) passed for the LCM for both units.
Command is "TST COVREX NOW".
If it completes ok, or makes one of the units go ISTB.
Enter command "COVREX QUERY".
Both units of LCM show close to the same values for all fields?

IP Logged    

1palm   Offline
Switch Technician

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 7:23pm

Agreed, also would think subs complaining as well. So no sysb line drawers, subgrps, etc? No PM logs, only the EXT log? 6x36 ruled out. The swapped 6x53 powers up and that unit reloads. Can you diag a card in each of the 10 subgrps in that shelf? Could be interesting if "bad" fuse it (the 5 or 15 or 48) is still 'in tact' (so no subs complaining) yet still "popped" but indicator not released. You may consider pulling the fuses one drawer at a time to see if the bay alarm clears?

IP Logged    

don   Offline
Translations Technician
Switch Technician
NOC Technician
Network Technician
SS7 Technician

toronto canada
I Love DMS

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 9:31am

What kind of remote is this. Rcc? etc  I assume you have verified that any fan units are not causing the alarm. Also need to ask is the frame fail light on? And is there any history on the alarm if it has been intermittent. I would guess it is either the fans ( but not likely as per unit 0 6x53 card removal clears alarm ) or  an  alarm lead sensing issue . If you are comfortable you could remove the leads on TS1 that you verified to see which one clears the alarm. This may assist in locating issue. Sometimes pins get crossed on the back of 6x35 and will bring in false alarms.

IP Logged    

DeltaDave   Offline
Network Technician

Edmonton
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 11:28pm

I apologize for the slow reply, been busy this past week.

So I don't believe the trouble to be from any of the drawers (or associated fuses -48, 15, 5), if it were, I would still have an aisle alarm with the 6X53AA pulled, and in my case, it will clear.

I don't believe its an RCC, its just a typical LCE Frame, no fans in this bay. I could remove those possible leads on TS1, however, when I compare the leads with a multimeter(referencing with ground) with the leads of the TS1 in another bay, they are comparable.

As for the covrex, these the results are comparable as well (Hope the formatting isn't too bad when I post this) :

LCM  WEED 02 0   InSv   Links OOS: Cside  0 Pside  0
Unit0: InSv                   /RG: 0
Unit1: InSv                   /RG: 0
                            11  11  11  11  11  RG: Pref 0 InSv
Drwr:  01  23  45  67  89  01  23  45  67  89      Stby 1 InSv
        ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  --

tst covrex query
LCM WEED 02 0 COVREX test is ON.
Recent LCM COVREX Results:
              Unit0 Unit1
              ----- -----
PWR CRD SHORT:   -7   -7 EXPECTED :  -12 to    0
RING GEN     :  -48  -48 EXPECTED :  -55 to  -38
PWR CRD OPEN :   49   48 EXPECTED :   38 to   55
COIN COLLECT :  128  129 EXPECTED :  115 to  140
COIN RETURN  : -129 -128 EXPECTED : -140 to -115

Last LCM COVREX test was SUN. 2019/01/27 at 04:45:39; PASSED.
No prior LCM COVREX failure.

tst rex query
LCM WEED 02 0 REX test is ON.

Recent REX Results:
Last REX test was FRI. 2019/01/25 at 00:54:48; PASSED.
No prior REX failure.

IP Logged    

don   Offline
Translations Technician
Switch Technician
NOC Technician
Network Technician
SS7 Technician

toronto canada
I Love DMS

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 9:47am

Maybe you have tried this but here goes.  I would meter all the ts1 pins from 1 to 15 , then pull the unit 0 shelf 4 6x53 and meter the pins again to see if any changes. 
Also if you just trip the cb for shelf 4 does that clear alarm or does the 6x53 need to be  out of slot to clear alarm.

IP Logged    

DeltaDave   Offline
Network Technician

Edmonton
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 7:31pm

I did compare the pins on TS1 with another bay and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I will give it another shot and compare it with the converter seated in shelf 4 and removed. Also, it will clear if the converter in shelf 4 is removed as it should.

HOWEVER, it is worth noting that when I trip CB for shelf 4 it will clear momentarily and then engage the aisle alarm again.

IP Logged    

DeltaDave   Offline
Network Technician

Edmonton
I Love Telcom!!

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 6:47pm

1palm wrote on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 6:27pm:
And no drawers in shelf 04 complaining? One possibility is one of the cartridge fuse (5/15/48) may have blown but the indicator didn't "release". If you pulled each 48, then 15, then 5, would the alarm go off?

Bingo, THIS was it the WHOLE DAMN TIME.

I checked it before when it initially came in, and it all checked out. While out at the site the other day, I decided to give it a once over and that was it. Just wow.

Thank you all for the support. Just want to give you the final update!

IP Logged    

1palm   Offline
Switch Technician

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 10:54am

Congratulations, nice when those trbls get cleared up!

IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print