- Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Telcom Pro's - Switch Technicians unite!  

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister   

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  
Output/printer issues with large chunks of text
Read 239 times

NewGuy   Offline
Switch Technician

Trying to learn!

Output/printer issues with large chunks of text
Mar 27th, 2020 at 5:18pm

As my user name and intro-post indicate I am totally new to the CO with no background so please forgive me and hopefully you guys don't mind helping to point me in the right direction from time to time.

We have a C15, upgraded from DMS10, and the interface we use for this is a prehistoric looking setup. A VT520 monitor and keyboard connected to an Inmac T-Switch, 2 "blackboxes" and a LA30n Companion Printer.

Anytime there is an output message with any significant amount of text the display goes wonky and starts spitting out garbled data and backwards question marks. For example if I try OAMP; QUE CNFG I get the first few lines and then a bunch of nonsense.

Do any of you use similar setups? Is there a setting of some kind that can cause this? 

Thanks for you help.

IP Logged    

don   Offline
Established Member
Translations Technician
Switch Technician
NOC Technician
Network Technician
SS7 Technician

toronto canada
I Love DMS

Re: Output/printer issues with large chunks of text
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:16am

Here is info on why you get ?????.
The VT520 operates at a transmission speed of up to 115.2K baud. To prevent
loss of data, the receive buffer is 1024 byte. The substitute (SUB) character is
substituted in the input buffer for any character with detected receive parity
errors or framing errors. If the input buffer overflows, a SUB character is placed
in the buffer in place of the lost characters. The SUB character is displayed as a
reverse question mark.

So maybe your baud rate setting for this port is not correct and  filling the buffer up .

IP Logged    

NewGuy   Offline
Switch Technician

Trying to learn!

Re: Output/printer issues with large chunks of text
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:19pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Don, that is great info. I'll try to figure out how to look at those port settings.

IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print